Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Trained to Think

I just stumbled across a blog and thought I should address the issue.

The author of the blog mentioned how he/she (sounds like a she) dislikes people who over analyze a film or a book. Well, I'm pretty sure he/she is not the only one.

But here's the point of view of a graduating film student. Every semester, we have a subject or two which requires us to write journals and film analysis'. If one wishes to score better grades, the more things you would have to analyze; from colour to lighting to framing and even to dialogue. The more you write about these stuff, the more marks you get. Simple as that. 

Over the years, we have been trained to watch films so closely that it becomes a habit. 

I discovered it had become a habit in me when I was watching the final episode of Desperate Housewives. The closing sequence had the characters in scenes with a single colour theme. The colour was.... blue? I can't remember. It was when I pointed it out out loud that I realized I'm going to have a problem at simply enjoying films when all my eyes tend to do is spot relations.

I hate that part of me. Haha. Then again, analyzing is pretty fun, cause it can help you predict the future events in the film. But wheres the fun in watching a film if you already know the ending right?

It is both a curse and a blessing.

Unfortunately for us, we will be stuck with this habit. So, don't dislike us who over analyze, we were merely trained to think that way.

1 comment:

  1. It is both a curse and a blessing. Well said. :)

    ReplyDelete