Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The 30-hour Novel Challenge

Kernel Mag recently threw a challenge I could not resist. The challenge was to write a novel over the weekend of 26th and 27th Jan in 30 hours.

Sounds crazy? Well, it kinda is.

I took this opportunity to write an idea I had while waiting for a bus. It was raining heavily and I just finished reading a book from A Song of Ice and Fire series. Having nothing to do, while the bus home took forever to arrive at the central station, I began to let my imagination run. After it went all over the place, I developed a story called 'Raindrops'.

I knew I was not going to write this story anytime soon because... well... I had my second novel to finish (which I managed to complete on the 25th of Jan, within 20 days). 

So, when I saw this challenge, I decided to go for it. This was my chance to write Raindrops, and I did.

Raindrops was written in 23 hours, and has 20,462 words. It came about with little sleep, backaches, sore eyes, and aching wrists. And it was a novella that really pushed me to the limits.

I have to thank Kernal Mag for having such a crazy idea. This was a test of skill, perseverance, and passion.

There was a total of 122 submissions out of the 367 registered participants. And I was one of them! Hmm... I might have been the first to submit, or maybe the first few. 

Anyways, the winner and a few others will/might be published by Harper Collins. And as an author, this might be my big break! But before that ever happens, there will be a public voting process, and I would definitely need all my subscribers to help me out :)

When the voting starts, I will publish a post on my writer's blog, so be sure to visit that blog out! My written works are all there, and if you're some random blogger who loves stories, please do pay it a visit.

Personally, I do hope that there's another challenge like this some time soon. I will be joining the Scholastic Book Award Asia this year, but that competition ends in October, so before that, I actually can join another one.

As a writer, I would encourage other writers to put their skills out for the test. Win or lose, it does not matter. A writer must seize every opportunity to grow, and what better way than through competitions.

This 30-hour novel challenge has really taught me a lot, and I hope that it will be a stepping stone for me to become better!

So, the next time you come across something as crazy as such, tell yourself your passion is crazier. With that mindset, you'll always see yourself growing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment