Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Story Behind 'Magnum Opus'



I got the title first, from a conference I attended over a weekend in June. The word Magnum Opus meant greatest creation, and I remembered thinking to myself how awesome of a title that would be. Don’t you agree?

It never dawned on me to write anything based off it until the next morning. It was a Sunday morning and I was at church. During praise and worship, God dropped me an interesting idea with a little picture to go with it.

The idea was to write about the greatest of the greatest magnum opus with a childlike theme in an odd fantasy world. I wasn’t sure on how to go about it, as the closest reference that came to mind was The Little Prince.

I first read The Little Prince when I was 10, I think. And I never completed the book. It was a children’s book with adult themes… and similarly, Magnum Opus had the same concept.

Even though I was not 100% sure of the direction this story was going, I wrote it anyways. And, I guess it came out pretty well.

The reason why I’m giving out this picture story book for free, with all the awesome illustration thanks to a designer friend, is for readers to experience the story like how I did.

When I finished writing the story, I felt more emotionally attached to every thing around me. To know that it took effort, dedication and time to create the Magnum Opus, I can’t help but feel grateful and loved. (If you have no idea what I’m saying right now, read my book! It’s free after all. You can download it here!)

Sometimes, it is easy for us to take for granted of the people and the things around us, and often times we complain about not being appreciated. Magnum Opus showed that I was exactly as I just mentioned. It really gave me a change of heart.

So, if you have read the story whether you liked it or not, I hope that you would at least take something from it; appreciate others just as you want to be appreciated.

I hope you have enjoyed my work! If you have anything you wanna say about it to me, send me an email at jeynagrace@gmail.com. I always love hearing from my readers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment