Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Big Guy Has A Tight Butt

Which big guy? The one in Attack on Titan a.k.a the colossal titan; the one who flashes his muscles because he works out in his spare time. Yea, he probably works out. 


Oh, look, a butt shot. Not the first.
You have to admit, he does have a tight butt.
Is this getting obscene?



Where am I going with this? Well, I recently decided to pick up the anime and give it a go... and who would have known, I'm now a fan. Four episodes in and I headed straight to Ebay looking for 'fan-made' bracelets to wear. Yup, it's that awesome.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of anime. The only anime I've watched prior to this is Corpse Party (aside from Avatar, which isn't made in Japan). I don't quite like the art style or how the female characters are drawn. Plus, they can get pretty kinky and that makes me extremely uncomfortable. The only thing I actually like about anime is how weird they can get; the strange and bizarre concept of horror and fantasy. Is it safe to say Attack on Titan delivers such a weird, yet horrifying concept in a fantasy setting? Yes. That's why I love it.

Before watching the anime, I was warned by my friends that I should not invest emotionally in any of the characters or I will experience a lot of pain. So I took their advice and cared less for the characters, but the shock of how quickly the characters die is still something I would have to deal with. I thought nothing could beat A Song of Ice and Fire at picking off characters like the petals of a flower during a he-loves-me-not game, but I was proven wrong sooner than I thought. And... I kind of enjoy such unpredictability.
Wait for it... I sense pain coming.

These days, shows have become so predictable. I recently finished watching a Korean drama titled The Three Musketeers, and I knew who was going to be poisoned and who was going to be pierced by an arrow just as the scene was getting all too jolly. Did the writers think it was unpredictable? I don't know, maybe it is. But I called it before it happened. I thoroughly enjoyed The Three Musketeers and cannot wait for season 2, but it was predictable like so many shows today. Ah, if only it wasn't! 

I guess I can say that Attack on Titan was a breath of fresh air when it came to unpredictability. The air probably isn't too fresh around titans but the shock value is worth investing my time in. If a book, movie, series, graphic novel (*The Walking Dead #100), game, or anime leaves my mouth gaping, I'll give it an A+ immediately. No questions asked. After all, I love surprises... don't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment